A Brief History
The Willows Colony started as a small development of beach homes sited on the Chesapeake Bay in the late 1940’s. The property that the Willows Community occupies was known as the Hutchins Farm. The original farmhouse still exists today and is located along Old Willows Road. After the Second World War, business entrepreneurs Jack Chavez and Fred Walker were spending time on Breezy Point Beach and noticed the Hutchins farm as a potential for investment. They envisioned a year around community centered on beach access and the Chesapeake Bay and purchased the farm around 1946, doing business as the Willows Development Company. Chavez and Walker’s good friend Robert Benner built the first homes about 1948. Mr. Benner is the late father of current and long-time Willows resident Pat Haynie. The Willows Citizens’ Association (WCA) officially formed in 1964 and subsequently adopted a set of governing by-laws still in use today. Today, residents cherish and maintain the natural beauty of the western Chesapeake Bay and surrounding woodlands. Many of the original beach amenities, including a swim net to keep out jelly fish, a wading pool fed by a fresh water well, and a beach front parking lot have been lost to erosion. However, Willows traditions like the Fourth of July Flag Raising Ceremony, the annual Christmas party, and the Tip Tipton Turkey Smoke Demonstration are still around today.